Free Shipping on Orders over $49

By Ashlin Cook

The Scoop on Dogs & Chocolate

 BoOoOo! Halloween is coming up, and it’s time to talk about the dangers of chocolate. As much as we love our Reese’s, Twix, Hershey’s, and Snickers, chocolate is poisonous to dogs- and they’re everywhere on this haunted holiday! 

Why is chocolate bad for dogs in the first place? Chocolate contains theobromine, and dogs have a much harder time processing that chemical in their systems than humans do. Bigger dogs are able to consume more chocolate than smaller dogs before reaching toxic levels, but once that level is reached the effects can range from light vomiting and diarrhea to muscle tremors, seizures, irregular heartbeat, internal bleeding, or heart attack. You can identify oncoming effects if your dog is experiencing hyperactivity. 


With that being said, the various types of chocolate affect dogs in different ways. For example cocoa, cooking chocolate, and dark chocolate are the most hazardous to your dog as they contain the highest levels of theobromine. Less than an ounce of dark chocolate may be enough poison to a 44-pound dog. Milk chocolate and white chocolate contain the lowest amount, but still pose a threat to your furry family member. 


If your dog has eaten a toxic amount of chocolate, the first step is to identify approximately how much your dog as ingested and then follow these steps recommended by the AKC. 


Want a safe trick-for-treat for you pup this Halloween? Try our Pumpkin Spice Canine Cookies or our Bison Burger Jerky. They are full of seasonal fun and ingredients that are all pup-approved! 



Now that we are acquainted with the effects of chocolate, we can have a safe treat-filled Halloween with our furry family! Keep an eye out, and Happy Halloween! 


Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published